Mission Statement: "We, the people of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary-Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, born of Assumption, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and St. Agnes Parishes, are committed to learning to love God and our neighbor as Christ commanded, going forth into the world, and making disciples of all nations, with Mary as our model and protector."
 

Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish History

Historia de Parroquia Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish is the only non-territorial parish serving the Hispanic community of Omaha. Beginning in 1919, the parish was the focal point for the Mexican settlement. Initially members of the Hispanic Catholic community came together on their own and selected Our Lady of Guadalupe as their patroness. They gathered in their homes for family and community-centered services such as praying the rosary as “novenarios” for their deceased and celebrating some of the holy days. In 1920, Archbishop Harty authorized Fr. Leonardo Azcona, Order of Augustinian Recollects, to minister to this growing Mexican community in South Omaha at St. Agnes school hall. Later the congregation worshipped in a rented bakery shop at 21st & Q St, with an oil painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe hanging over the altar. Unfortunately, this humble little church closed in 1923 when the pastor was recalled by his Religious order. In 1928, Fr. Francisco M. Alba reorganized Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish and the worship site was a rented store front at 5027 S 24 St. It was here that the long, devoted service of two ladies from Catholic Charities began. Margaret Hammer and Sue Keenan are fondly remembered for their unselfish dedication to the development and teaching of the catechism program.

In 1944, a fund-raising campaign was initiated to purchase the land on which the present parish church is located. Ground breaking ceremonies were held on May 21, 1950 and the new church was dedicated in June, 1951. The effort to build their Church brought a great sense of unity to the small Mexican community.

The Church grew strong through the 1950’s and 1960’s. In the late 1970’s, there was a new wave of immigration from Mexico and the challenge now facing the ministry to Hispanics was to minister adequately in a bilingual and bi-cultural style. In 1974, the parish once again offered services in Spanish and lay ministries began to surface.

In 1985, the Order of Augustinian Recollects informed the Archdiocese that due to personnel shortages they would be withdrawing from the Midwest. The Augustinians continued to serve this growing Mexican community until 1987. The Archdiocese then took ownership of the parish and of ministry to Hispanics in Omaha.

May God continue to bless Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Agnes Parish.

Information provided by the 75th anniversary cookbook for Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish and the Parish Office.

La parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe no se solamente una parroquia servicial no territorial para la comunidades hispana. Al comienzo de 1919, la parroquia fue el punto central del establecimiento de los mexicanos migrantes. Inicialmente de los miembros de las comunidades hispanas católicas en las que se unieron y integraron al iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe como su patrona. Los migrantes acostumbraban reunirse en sus hogares y usarlas como centros de oraciones y novenarios por sus difuntos y para celebrar algunas de sus culturas. En 1920, el Arzobispo Harty autoriza al padre Leonardo Azcona, de la Orden de los Agustinos, administrar en la escuela de Santa Inés, esta comunidad mexicana que crecía en el Sur de Omaha. Mas tarde, se renta la panadería de la 21 y Q y se le coloca un letrero pintado en pintura de aceite con el nombre de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe colocado en el Altar donde se traslado todo la congregación para realizar sus celebraciones religiosas. Lamentablemente esta pequeña Iglesia fue cerrada en 1923 cuando el Pastor fue llamado y retornado a su congregación religiosa. En 1parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe y la Oficina de la parroquia).928, el Padre Francisco M. Alba reorganiza la parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe y en centro de adoración fue en una tienda rentada en la 5027 S 24St. Fue aquí donde perduro mucho tiempo, La devoción servidora de dos señoras de caridades católicas comenzó. Margaret Hammer y Sue Keenan son fervorosamente recordadas por sus carismas de devoción y dedicación al servicio de fomentar y enseñar el programa de catecismo.

(Información proporcionada por el recetario de aniversario número 75 de la